Shoot forces overtime, but QHS falls to Columbia Hickman


Posted: Jan. 30, 2016 10:40 pm

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Aaron Shoot lived up to his namesake.

The Quincy High School boys basketball team trailed by three points with 3.2 seconds remaining and was inbounding the ball underneath its own basket. Shoot rolled off a screen into the near corner, took a pass from guard Mike Dade and hoisted up a double-clutched shot over two Columbia Hickman defenders to bank a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

QHS, however, couldn’t carry that momentum into the extra session, falling 59-57 Saturday afternoon.

“It was a tough loss,” QHS coach Andy Douglas said. “But these kids will put this game behind them and focus on a big conference game against Rocky next weekend.”

Shoot said he tried to get the hickman defender into the air, but he didn’t bite on the fake.

“So I just did my best to get the ball to the basket,” Shoot said.

It came as no surprise to the Blue Devils that Shoot buried the shot.

“The kid’s last name is Shoot, so that’s what we expect from him,” Dade said. “We have a ton of confidence in Aaron, and I knew once I got the ball to him that we had a great chance to tie things up.”

The Kewpies outscored the Blue Devils 4-2 in the four-minute overtime period. Shoot made two free throws for Quincy’s only points, and Hickman’s Calvin Hubbard made two free throws with 3.3 seconds left accounted for the game’s final points.

Shoot’s desperation 3-pointer at the end didn’t fall.

It didn’t look like QHS (14-5) was going to have a chance to win, let alone force overtime dramatically, after a slow start. The Blue Devils missed 12 of 14 shots in the opening quarter and trailed 16-7.

That deficit extended to 22-9 as Hickman’s Judante’ Sutton buried his third 3-pointer early in the second quarter.

The Blue Devils, however, went on an 11-0 run as Parker Bland scored six points and Cameron Gay added five to cut the deficit to 26-24 with less than 30 seconds left in the half. A 3-pointer by Shoot in the final moments was blocked, and Hickman’s Aiden Rolley scored as time expired to give the Kewpies a 28-24 halftime advantage.

“That was a tough break heading into the half,” Douglas said.

QHS took its first lead when Dade scored a layin with 5:48 left in the third. The Blue Devils had their largest lead 39-33 when Devin Smith buried a 3-pointer with 1:15 left in the third.

Hickman (10-9), however, made 13 of 16 free throws in the fourth quarter to whittle away and regain the lead with 1:52 to play.

Dade led QHS with 18 points while Bland added 14. Shoot had 11 points.

QHS returns to Western Big Six Conference play Friday with a home game against Rock Island. QHS turns around the following night to host Collinsville to play a game that was postponed earlier this month.